This page provides access to a range of documents produced, nationally or locally, in the lead-up (and the follow-up) to the October 2015 Synod being held in Rome on the theme “The Vocation and Mission of the Family in the Church and in the Contemporary World”.
It is hoped that this will aid discussions held in St Columba’s parish in the lead-up period – and thereafter. (The following list of documents: most recent first.)
- “Amoris Laetitia“: “The Joy of Love”, which is Pope Francis’ Apostolic Exhortation, setting out his post-Synod reflections. This is a substantial document (264 pages), published on 8th April 2016.
- Bishop Michael Campbell’s Working Translation of the 2015 Synod Final Report (from the Diocese of Lancaster website): Final-Relatio15-Bishop Campbell translation
- Overall summary of the responses received on “The Call, the Mission and the Journey”. Published by the England & Wales Bishops 23-9-15: The Call – summary of lay responses
- Comments from St Columba’s sent to Shrewsbury Diocese, following open parish meetings held on 8th March and 19th April 2015: The Call – comments from St Columba’s
- Invitation letter to St Columba’s parishioners for the gathering on Sunday 8th March 2015: The Call 8-3-15
- PowerPoint presentation prepared for the parish gathering: The Call presentation
- Online Response Form This is a version in Word format of the online response form that was accessible from the main Catholic Church England & Wales website. It seeks comments on the six questions posed in “The Call” document. This Word version can be printed out and completed by hand – for return to Canon Jonathan Mitchell at Cathedral House, 11 Belmont, Shrewsbury SY1 1TE before 19th April 2015.
- The Call-Journey-Mission of the Family This is the 5-page glossy print version, as published by the Bishops of England and Wales (pdf format).
- The-Call-Leaflet-4-pages-bw This is an unadorned 4-page version produced by Shrewsbury diocese. Same text but no graphics, black and white, Word format. Includes diocesan contact details and sets the response deadline of 19th April.
- Read and Reflect using Scripture: a series of readings telling of family situations in the Bible. Each leaflet offers suggestions for small groups to consider how they relate to our own lives.
- Extraordinary Synod on the Family, October 2014: